Santa Barbara marks the eastern end of the Santa
Barbara Channel, bounded to the north by the California
coast, the south by the Channel Islands, and to the west
by Point Conception.
A lighthouse to mark Santa Barbara was completed in 1856,
and the first keeper, Albert Williams, and his wife Julia,
tended to the fourth-order Fresnel lens. Albert Williams
tired of the monotony of lighthouse life, and eventually
the family acquired a ranch nearby. Keeper Williams hired
someone to light the lamp nightly. In 1865, Julia Williams
agreed to serve at the light's official keeper. She
served the station faithfully for forty years - retiring
in 1905 at age 80 after breaking her hip while at the station.