Sharkfin Shoal lies northeast of Bloodworth Island
on Maryland's Eastern Shore,
near the juncture of Fishing Bay, Hooper Strait,
the Nanticoke River, and the Wicomico River.
In 1892, a screwpile lighthouse was built to replace
the deteriorating Clay Island
light. The light was built at the
at the same time as the screwpile for
using the same hexagonal design.
The lighthouse cost $25,000.
The light housed a fourth-order lens, and was lit
on August 1, 1892.
In 1964, the lighthouse was automated. The superstructure
was removed, and an automated beacon placed on the foundation.
Forgotten Beacons, Hornberger and Turbyville pp. 87
The Lighthouses of the Chesapeake, de Gast p. 165
Lighting the Bay: Tales of Chesapeake Lighthouses, Vojtech p. 177