East Charity Shoal was originaly constructed in Vermillion,
Ohio in 1877. The lighthouse was removed and transported to
Buffalo, NY after a severe ice storm in 1929 damaged the
structure. A skeleton tower replaced the lighthouse. In
1935, the restored tower was rebuilt to mark East Charity
Shoal, six miles south of the entrance to the Saint Lawrence
River on Lake Ontario. The lighthouse is still operational.
Residents of Vermillion, Ohio never knew what became of their
lighthouse until 1994, when Olin M. Stevens of Columbus, OH
found a newspaper article about his grandfather's lighthouse
assignment at Tibbetts
Point. The article mentioned that his grandfather had
also served at nearby East Charity Shoal Lighthouse when it
stood in Vermillion!
Seaway Trail Lighthouses (2nd Edition), Tinney, Burdette-Watkins, p. 39
Great Lakes Lighthouses - American and Canadian, Oleszewski, p. 23