Galloo (also spelled "Galoo") Island sits on the northeast
end of Lake Ontario, west of Sackets Harbor. The original
lighthouse was built in 1820 to mark dangerous shoals in the
area. The present structure was built in 1867. The conical
60-foot tower with attached stone keeper's residence and
nearby fog signal building have since been abandoned.
The building was sold in 2001 to a private owner,
and was up for sale again as of 2006.
A Traveler's Guide to 100 Eastern Great Lakes Lighthouses, Penrose, p. 51
Lighthouse Digest Jan/Feb 2006, March 2006, April 2006