Scotch Bonnet Lighthouse, located offshore to the west of
Prince Edward County, is located on tiny Scotch Bonnet Island -
only seven feet above Lake Ontario, and only about two
acres at low tide. The island is
approximately 0.9 miles southwest of Nicholson Island. A
lighthouse was built to mark the island in 1856.
The tower was 54-feet tall with attached keeper's dwelling.
The first keeper was John Giroux. John Pye took over
as keeper in 1878.
In 1912, the light was automated. A steel skeleton tower was built in
1959, and the tower fell into disrepair.
Today, the stone tower and attached residence are
little more than a ruin. Today, the only island residents
are the seabirds which nest there.
A Traveler's Guide to 100 Eastern Great Lakes Lighthouses, Penrose, p. 75
Lighthouse Digest December 2005